Thursday, September 16, 2010

An easy fav of mine


When I am pretty lazy I have staple side dishes I usually can throw together without thinking about them. Here are my two favorites. Whenever I have a lot of fresh veggies and not a lot of energy I usually do a simple stir-fry with them. Get them all cut up however you like. Put them in the skillet on medium to medium-high with a little oil. If you want to season the oil first with a little garlic and onion in the oil before you add the veggies even more flavor will come out of the dish. I have a basic season salt made from scratch with all kinds of herbs, rosemary, sage, basil, salt, pepper, garlic salt, there are so many things in it i can't remember them all. I use that to season the veggies as they are cooking. The key for me with i cook veggies is to not overcook them because the most nutrients are in veggies when they are raw, so i cook mine so they are still a little crisp.

The second staple in my lazy side dish section are baked rosemary potatoes. The key to this dish is to have a heavy duty iron skillet and some small red potatoes. Really you can use any potato but i prefer the small red ones. Just pour some oil in the iron skillet to cover the bottom. Then you pick out some seasoning for the potatoes and spread it all over the oil. The real recipe uses fresh rosemary and sea salt for crunch, but as i've experimented with the recipe i've found you can use just about any seasoning from cajun to garlic to steak seasonings.. just mix it up! I always use garlic and salt, and usually like to throw in some cajun or italian seasonings. You cut the potatoes in halves and lay them cut side down in the oil. Put them in the oven at around 400F and forget about them for 20-30 minutes. When you pull them out they will be nicely flavored and crunchy. A nice little change from french fries, i'd say.

In this picture above I paired my easy side dishes with some steak little grilled with sauteed mushrooms on top!! What an easy delish meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment